b. Denmark, 1907
Agner Christoffersen was a Danish architect and designer. He first trained as a carpenter and then went on to study architecture at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen. In 1928, he was hired by the Copenhagen Municipal Planning Board and would later become the board’s head architect between 1966-75. During the 40’s and 50’s, he worked as a consultant for the architects Vilhelm Lauritzen and Hoff and Windinge on projects like Gladsaxe Town Hall, Højskolen Marielyst, Bagsværd School and Herning Gymnasium. Three of his exhibition chairs from the Cabinetmakers' Guild Exhibition sit alongside his coffee table and sofa (bottom right), one of which now resides at modernlink (bottom left).
Christoffersen worked at a time when architects were responsible for every aspect of a new building including the furniture, lighting and light fixtures and all building signage. Though he is mainly known for his furniture designs, he was pivotal in designing a significant part of what went inside of schools, daycare centres and government offices in Denmark.